Wednesday 17 July 2013

The Scrap Bin

The scrap bin has been full and overflowing for months.  Lots of bits left over from my previous quilts.  Every so often I make a quilt from some of the leftovers.  I never actually get to use them all up, and of course would never dream of throwing any away.  The last scrappy one was a 'string block' lap quilt which started out as a tutorial at our quilting class and was last seen on the pitch at Hampden Park.  Back to the bin..........as you can see the bits were all bundled together in no particular order, colour or size.  



Full and overflowing!


Half an hour pressing and sorting later there was hardly a dent in the contents of the bin - three half hour stints with the iron over the last couple of days and this was the result.  Five baskets of colour sorted scraps and lots of memories of the quilts made from all the bits of fabrics, and of course an empty bin.  I have taken the first step towards making the quilt.  Lots of ideas milling around in my head at the moment but one thing I am sure of is that I'm going to keep this one simple.




This blog post has taken me longer to write and get the photos in place than sorting out the scraps!  I did say I wasn't technical.  As the old adage goes - practice makes perfect - well maybe I will be just a little bit better next time.

1 comment:

Ian said...

Looking great mum! I hope this is a great success and manages to raise lots of money in granny's memory for other families in a similar position.