Sunday 13 March 2016

Trials

Having finished off four quilts last week I haven't finished one this week.  I have made a start to a project for our class this week.  I recently bought a roll of new batting and took  along a sample to let the ladies at the class see and compare it with our usual one.  Of course there were questions:  how far apart could you quilt, was it good for hand quilting, did it wash well, was it lighter or heavier, was it as warm as the other one?  Well I didn't know all the answers did I.  I did take along the instruction sheet but not all the answers were there.  So what do I do when I don't know the answers to questions?  Try and find out of course...........

A New Roll of Batting

...........another project - I decided to make two small quilts 30" x 30" using the same fabrics, the pattern below, backing, thread etc but I used the two different battings one in each.  The plan is to get them finished for Tuesday and let the ladies decide and see if they can spot the difference.  Then next week I will throw them in washing machine and see how they turn out after the usual cool wash and dry.   Watch this space.



I have become a member of a Facebook group UK Quilters United and have found it a great resource for information, tips and ideas.  There are so many talented quilters out there.  As a sub group there is a band of ladies and probably gents too who belong to a group called Helping Hands - stitching and sewing for good causes.  This is just what it says, folks who like to sew and give their time and efforts to others.  Many sew for their local community and smaller charities.  Someone had requested scraps and offcuts of fabric and I found this was one way to pass on my leftover pieces of fabrics.  Many of us have scraps - and many like to sew put them both together and you get lots of projects being made - quilts for children, syringe driver bags, quilts for elderly in care homes, flood victims, Girl Guide groups making small items to sell for fundraising for cystic fibrosis the list goes on.  You name it,  it's being done within this group all over the UK - the power of Facebook!  One lovely lady coordinates wishes and gifts and marries them up, you then get an address to send your envelope of scraps or completed items.  She does a grand job!  Well done N.A. 

My circle project is progressing slowly but it's still on the design wall - not quite sure which method I'm going to use for the next step though.  I don't have any set plans for this week so I will just wait and see what pops into my head - I've got plenty on my 'to do list'

Have a good week whatever you are planning to do.

1 comment:

margaret said...

wondering what the waddings are as I will have to buy some soon, fortunately the roll I have now is nearly gone not a good buy was a recycled one that was too thin, thinking of soft and bright, have a sample which I have used in a baby mat as it is polyester not quilted yet on my to do list. Will now check out the facebook group