Saturday 12 August 2017

It's That Time of Year

The soft fruits are in abundance so it is jam making time!  I enjoy making jam it rekindles lots of memories of my childhood watching Mum prepare the fruit, watching it bubble and being sent out of harms way when the crucial moment of testing the setting point.  Being allowed to watch from a distance as the boiling liquid was poured into the sparkling clean jam jars, which were then wiped down just in case there was a stray drip (there never was).  As I got older I was allowed to put the little waxed circles on top, placing them carefully and not allowing the edge to dip down into the delicious smelling delicacy.  Gone now are the days when we put cellophane lids on fixed securely in place by the little elastic band, the screw top lid has taken over.    It is funny how your memory is triggered by doing a similar task today.  The handwritten labels are gone now too replaced by the printed labels from the computer.  I am sure jam making is another dying craft.  Sugary jams are becoming a no no as our diet is bombarded with everyday sweet biscuits and cakes.  Jam was a luxury when we were children and about the only treat during the week.  Mum always did her baking on a Saturday and we were always at her elbow to get some sultanas or a glace cherry from the tub.  Memories..............I must be getting old!!  Well I enjoyed the morning jam making.




and so to quilting -  This week has been spent using up precuts.  Yes I know I hear you, I don't like precuts.  I have had these two same charm packs for some time and they were gathering dust on the shelf.  I combined the two and then split them keeping all the same designs together.  Swirls for one and spots for the other.  A quick and easy Zipper Quilt was the first one to be put on the design wall.  Does anyone else out there have a larger than usual supply of dull brown fabrics?  I seem to, although I have managed to use some up on this more masculine quilt.




The other half of the charms squares with the spots were made into HSTs and produced this little one.  Now I just need to find some fabric and put some borders on.


Two completely different quilt tops from the same fabric line.

Thats my news for this week I hope you have a good week and enjoy whatever you are doing.



No comments: