Friday 23 May 2014

Almost Back to Normal

I am pleased to say life in the Mackie household is starting to return to normal - whatever that may be.  We still have lots of sorting and clearing to do, but that will all be done in due course.

Quilting activities are returning albeit slowly.  I think it takes time to get your enthusiasm back when you have been away from your familiar sewing area.  Well to get myself going again I decided to just do a tidy up, sort some scraps, rearrange my notions and threads, tidy my desk and next I will be sorting out my quilty photos to make sure they are in the correct folders on my computer where they should be.  How many of you out there actually keep a proper record of your quilts?  I have always kept a photographic record of all my quilts and label each one, right back to my very first one.  Recently I have started keeping a notebook, detailing fabrics, amounts used, time taken to complete and the approximate costs.
 
My First Quilt - 2006

Oh dear when I look at it now there was definitely room for improvement.  This little table runner was the product of a beginners class I attended way back in 2006.  Now I think about it, it is the only quilting class I have ever attended.  All my knowledge has been picked up by reading books, magazines and the internet and of course listening to like minded ladies and picking up their tips.  It's great to be part of a group where tips and ideas can be shared. I have also learned by my mistakes.  As you go along you find easier and more effective ways of sewing and cutting, all part of the fun.

You may remember the 15 minutes of play blocks I mentioned in a previous post.  Well here is another of my efforts using the churn dash block.  A really good way to use up all these leftover scraps from your previous projects.  It's also good to share and swap scraps with fellow quilters.




As promised a better photo - although I do have a bit more of the binding to finish
 
Last weekend our elder son took part in the Strathclyde Park Triathlon and was pleased with his times.  This week he and my niece are taking part in the Edinburgh Marathon Festival running in the 10k in memory of their Gran who died almost a year ago.  They have both been training hard and are looking for sponsorship to help them on their way to the targets they have set themselves raising funds for Marie Curie Cancer Care and the wonderful ladies who looked after Mum during her final months.  Read their stories here and here.  I am so proud of them both and wish them well in trying to do their personal bests for a very good cause.
 
  We are all supporting
 
 
Have a good week enjoying all the things you like to do most.



 

1 comment:

margaret said...

what a good idea to keep a record of the making of your quilts, I too am learning from books and the internet but have now found 2 MQGs locally that will be a great help.

Best of luck to your 2 in Edinburgh,, such an amazingly good charity to support. I am privileged to have a daughter who is a palliative care nurse in Wheatfields which is a Sue Ryder hospice.