Saturday 25 October 2014

Learning Another New Technique

I am always keen to learn.  This week it was another new technique, whew! Brain overload this month but it's all good.  At class on Tuesday M demonstrated Mini Mosaics by Paula Doyle.  There was an excited buzz around the room. Everyone eager to try something new.  A lot of preparation had been put into this evening by M.  Little envelopes were passed around giving each of us the basics for this little block.  Would we manage to get it finished within the allocated time? - well thanks to expert instructions and a look through the Mini Mosaic book, happy sewing machines and steaming irons I think most of us managed to complete our block.


Some of the instructions
 


I was so pleased with mine I think I will make it into a little coaster for my desk.  


What do you think?  Not perfect the purple block on the right is a bit off, not worth trying to fix this time but I know I was perhaps in too much of a hurry as usual.  I should have been more accurate in placing my squares on the grid and pressing them on to the fine adhesive interfacing backing, before sewing them in place - I will do better next time.  I have placed my order for the Mini Mosaic Quilts book and it should hopefully arrive early next week.  I am looking forward to reading it from cover to cover while I drink my morning coffee and trying out some of the other little designs.  I have also has a look at Paula's tutorials on YouTube which are fun to watch too.

The binding has not been sewn down yet on the third exploding block so I'll show you that next time.  I have however started on my second block of the Night Before Christmas quilt. The holly garland is done, and the first little stocking complete.  I did have a mad turn early this week and ran up a very quick and easy quilt top from a rather bright and cheery charm pack called Half Moon Modern by Moda.  It's been lying around for a while and it was calling me to do something with it.  I pieced it together using a wee piece of inky black mottled fabric which makes all the bright colours pop.  So......another Linus quilt in the making.  It is sandwiched together with a bright orange fleece and sitting ready to be quilted.


So this weeks list is: to continue with the rather large knitting project, sew down that binding, a little bit of quilting on the charm pack quilt and perhaps another stocking added to the garland, and of course coffee time reading of my new quilting book when it arrives - maybe a bit adventurous but I'll just see how it goes.

1 comment:

margaret said...

I like the mini mosaic wondering what size it is? Also the charm pack quilt looks good, I have 5 charm packs, maybe I will do one of these too. Enjoy your new book when it arrives