Saturday 27 June 2015

Disappearing Scraps

There is something very rewarding about making something from nothing.  If you have been following along for the last few weeks you will realise I have been trying to make quick scrappy quilts to empty my scrap baskets and use up my stash.  I really have had my fill of these scrap and now feel I need to start planning a new project. So I have a message out to someone I met last weekend to ask if she would like some of my scraps for an Arts project.  I suppose they could be used for making collages etc too, not just for sewing.

Like many of you I suppose, over the years I have bought fabrics in varying lengths, from fat quarters (which by now you all know I don't like) to three and four metre lengths.  I have tried a variety of different ways of sorting and storing my fabrics and to date the most successful one for me is folding the larger pieces which are half metres and more around a cardboard template and stacking them on my bookcase shelves.  They are on display and I can see what I've got at a glance.  They are arranged in colour order of sorts.  
 
 
 
Some of these fabrics I have had since the very early days of my quilting adventure and I must admit I look at them now and wonder what I was thinking of when I bought them.  Tastes change, colours change and like fashion there is always something different in the shops to tempt you.  It's always very easy to pick up a piece of fabric you like, then get home to discover you have nothing to match it or it's not quite the right tone or shade.  I think in the early days this is what was happening to me.  With the result I now have a few fabrics which are gathering dust as they say.  I am determined to use up more of my stash before buying any more.  Yes I will have the odd hiccup when I see that 'must buy' but I really will take one of my 'oldies' now and again and make something without having to spend any money.

The two tops I've been working on this week are now folded nicely waiting to be sandwiched.  The content of the blue scrap basket has diminished although it's still not empty. I also spent some time this week having 15 minutes of play as I found I didn't have long spells to sit and sew this week.  Hope you like these two.
 
All Blues on the Design Wall
 
 
15 Minutes of Play - Border still to be added
 
 
I plan to update my Gallery later this weekend so if you have time,  have a look and see the quilts I've completed so far this year.

Enjoy your week.

1 comment:

margaret said...

I think most of us are guilty of impulse buys that we later regret. good quilts here, especially like the 15 minutes of play one, at the moment I am doing a scrap vortex one