Sunday 14 June 2015

Stashbuster

The bin is empty! Probably only for a short time though. 


This is what happened to all the fabric pieces and now sorted out into their proper baskets


As I was sorting I took all the smaller pieces and cut them into 2.5inch squares and produced this little or not so little stack of goodness.  I have passed these on to my little helper, a junior member of our group, a very enthusiastic young lady who will be using them up for me over the summer holidays. Watch this space!




What remained were mainly strips which inspired me to make a strip and flip strippy quilt.  I made this one a few years ago, and I think if you look closely you will see some of the fabrics being used once again my new project.  Hmm maybe there should be a quilting unwritten rule, if you use the same fabrics in more than three quilts its good to pass them on or throw them out! Ok ok.......... don't throw them out give them to someone else to use.
 


This is a really fast project,  good fun, and a totally random placement of colour, yes I know, I know, quilters don't do random.  It's good to try once in a while and yes it does work!  

I used a 6.5in square of light coloured foundation fabric, same in each block. You could use any size of square though, depending on the length of your scraps.  I measured three quarters of an inch from the diagonal and drew a line each side, then started pulling strips. Lay the first one with right side down and right hand edge on the line, sew the normal quarter inch seam.  Flip and press the strip over, continue laying down strips right side down on the previous strip ensuring you cover even the smallest point that's left.  The strips need not all be the same width.  In fact it's more interesting when you use different width pieces.  When one triangle is complete turn the square to the other side and do exactly the same again. Press well and trim your block from the back (you will be able to see the foundation square) to measure 6.5inches.




You can play with placement and get some lovely patterns. This is great way to stash bust, use up small pieces, and make something out of nothing.  If you don't like the result yourself sandwich it together and pass it on to a worthy charity.   Why not go and give it a try with all your scraps? Happy stitching. 

1 comment:

margaret said...

great way to use up scraps, I am joning liots together at the moment following crazymumquilts blog on using up scraps