Saturday 6 June 2015

Stitches that Bind

There is something quite relaxing about handstitching and that's what I've been doing this week - stitching bindings.  Binding a quilt can be a bit of a chore for some but I really enjoy it.  I seem to bind my quilts in a different way from most of the ladies in our group.  This is the way I was taught and it's the one I always fall back on - in fact I think I have only tried the mitred corners method a couple of times and I didn't make a good job at all.

cut my binding strips 2.5inches wide about 2.5inches longer than each side of my quilt joining where necessary.  The strip is then folded in half lengthways and pressed - make sure you don't stretch it.  Then open out the strip and fold the raw edges in to the centre and press again - one side at a time and watch you don't burn your fingers!  Fold the two edges together and press again you have now produced a nice sharp half inch binding. 








Now open out the strip and you have already a nice marked line to follow when stitching.  Beware this step - instead of the usual quarter inch seam you are going to make a half inch seam down one of the folded lines butting the edge of the strip to the edge of your already trimmed quilt.  This is the bit you need to watch out - if you have a pieced border you will lose your points.  So be aware of this.  I rarely have a pieced border (although the the Morris quilts do and I added that extra wee quarter inch to my piano keys so the wee pieces would finish 2ins square when the binding was in place) I  nearly always have a plain outer border and cut it a little wider to accommodate the larger seam allowance.  I do not pin, just hold it firmly in place as I sew leaving a tail over the edge of about an inch, which should be trimmed on the first two sides.  (I sew on short sides first then the long ones.  Do not trim the long sides as you need to leave turning room.) If you pin you have to stop and start as you go and if you don't have a needle down facility on your machine you may get a wavy line instead of a nice straight one

After machining down the strip (using your walking foot) to the front of your quilt turn it to the back and it simply falls into place and easily turns over to the wrong side covering the stitch line and you are ready for pinning or clipping and hand stitching.  The corners are then neatly folded and tucked to make a nice square edge which is slip stitched in place. Have you seen these little buddies  - a really useful addition to your sewing notions.


Another tip when putting on your binding - bindings  tend to be a contrast colour which compliments your quilt and backing.  I always use a thread colour which matches the binding - not the backing.  Your tiny stitches will disappear if you choose a slightly darker thread rather than a lighter one.  This binding was sewn on with dark red thread and not noticeable on the gold backing.


Choose a fine needle too and it will just glide through the fabrics, I have realised I like sewing with a longer needle rather than the tiny quilting needles and tend to use a milliners or straw needle.  Remember needle points do get blunt and need replacing regularly and you should try and change them after each project.  You know it makes sense really but we are all thrifty quilters and always make things last for another project - sewing machine needles, rotary cutter blades etc - How often have we thought it will do another wee while - then in fact when we change them the immediate thought is why didn't I do this earlier!  Little handstitching needles are no different.

It's a wild wet and windy morning here and I had hoped I could get some nice outdoor shots of my finished Morris quilts,  which by the way I am really delighted with, however that will need to wait for another day.  I will be binding again next week and making progress with this overflowing bucket of scraps hopefully.


Happy stitching!




 

2 comments:

margaret said...

very detailed instructions, thanks, I do try to mitre my corners without much success so might try your method next time and hope to get the corners square.

Karen said...

Finished binding on Linus quilt today and took up your suggestion of machine stitching front and back of binding and was very surprised at the results....and so much quicker than hand sewing. Kx