Saturday 15 July 2017

Freemotion Quilting

Determination and encouragement by others is the answer to any anxieties over free motion - I have decided.  Having good friends to prod and cajole you along sometimes is just what is needed at least it was exactly what I needed to get my rear in gear and get over my hang ups about my Gracie Frame.

Having invited two quilty friends both very good at FMQ to try out Gracie I had no option but to bite the bullet and give it another blast.

What a lovely couple of hours we had. We were all a bit apprehensive but I think it was just what we needed - just look what we managed to do.  Stipples, swirls, waves, bubbles and feathers.  Encouraging each other to try different shapes the time just flew in.  Thank you girls!



                 





Having been given that wee push I loaded another two quilts tops up this week and am reasonably pleased with the results.  As always you learn from your mistakes and there are a couple of things I will change in the future.  Probably not noticeable to anyone else, but I know they are there.  Photos of the completed quilts are on the Gallery Page.






The Crystal Star has been put on the back burner this week but I am ready once again for the next section.  I am enjoying the foundation piecing but it is very easy to get complacent.  The last time I was working on it I almost had a complete disaster.  I was  on automatic and I placed the first piece of the section with the wrong side facing up instead of right side up.  I trimmed it ready for the next piece when I noticed.  Fortunately being thrifty with my fabric I did manage to turn it and slide it into position, I was lucky and managed it by a whisker!  I decided that I should have a break from it at that point as I was getting too smart for my own good.

I've had a good couple of weeks and I'm enjoying having most of my sewing items and computer upstairs.  Today was spent updating said computer, tidying up files and updating photos.  As is usual when I start on this type of clean up things don't go as quickly or as smoothly as I would like, thus taking much longer than I anticipated so no sewing done today.  There is always tomorrow..............

2 comments:

Karen said...

FMQ looks not too terrible at all! Almost professional looking!! Kx

Audrey Mackie said...

You both did very well - perhaps if we kept to the same designs all over it could have passed for professional. We will keep up the practice.