Sunday 29 April 2018

Holidays Over

It didn't take me long to get back into the old routine this week and sadly the sun disappeared after Saturday.  However the holiday laundry was all done quickly last weekend and normal service has resumed.

I think I really am a sad person in some respects - I missed my sewing machine, so without any further dallying I jumped right in and completed the quilting on my Starburst quilt.  I don't normally like leaving things set up on the frame for too long but it had to remain there in limbo for two reasons.  first one of course was I was away but more importantly my thread was running low.  I sent off a new order for the Glide thread I use for FMQ.  Quilt Sanctuary has in my opinion a lovely range of colours and a very good prompt service, thanks Laura!



When the Robin Egg Blue thread arrived earlier in the week (with some other spring colours I couldn't resist) I set to and completed the last row and border, and quickly unfurled it from the frame.  I am really pleased with how it has turned out.  I do like the pattern of the quilting on the reverse side.





This quilt is not going anywhere it is for me, well not really it will stay in my car.  It's always useful to have a wee cover for picnics - if we ever get the weather for one!



The Starburst,  Connecting Threads quilt is now complete apart from the label, which may get done later this evening.  As I was writing up my Quilt Journal, I noticed it is exactly 2 months today since I started this one, I think that is good going.  I measures 61" x 76" and you may just see another little quilt made with the generous leftovers from this kit in the not so distant future.

I have also been working on the quilting of our class Circle of Geese quilt.  Each of our members made a foundation pieced Flying Geese block.


My original intention was to load it on to the frame and just meander the quilting line.  Ideas change and formulate in your head over time and when I sandwiched this one I was not happy about quilting it on the frame.  There are no borders on this quilt and I was concerned the tension on the frame might pull the edges too much and distort the finished quilt - Plan B.  Echo the stars and do something in the middle of where the blocks join.  Almost done, I now and have to trim it for Tuesday when the binding will be ready to go on, and hopefully then passed on to someone else to handstitch the binding.

Well thats my progress this week.  How did you do?



1 comment:

Karen said...

Looks lovely. Well done on the FMQ. And thank you for layering up and quilting the class Circle of Geese. The binding is ready and waiting to be attached on Tuesday. Kx