Monday 9 April 2018

Multitasking

Since my last blog post I have been working on two different projects. I featured the red fabrics last time for the ‘Bliss’ quilt.  Where do they choose the names from?  Well this has been proving it’s not bliss.  There is I think a reason for me not working with red fabrics - they make me angry!  A remember my Mum telling me when Techie was a toddler that should not dress him in a red t-shirt or sweatshirt.........why because it made him grumpy! I of course could never see the reasoning behind this theory but on reflection I think she was probably right.  Red can be an angry and aggressive colour, it can also be bright and cheery but this week it has driven me up the wall. 

The 2 blocks which make up the pattern

The pattern has lots of squares and flying geese blocks and I am glad I have now finished making all the geese on this one.  I am also so pleased I have the space for a design wall.  On two different nights I have discovered a border placed the wrong way round.  One I only noticed when I was taking a photo for Instagram.  Progress is being made though but and it remains on the wall for now as I felt the need for a change.


 The first border added but I had lost a piece



Missing piece found at the bottom of the basket hiding

As I  enjoy piecing more than any other process of making a quilt I always have lots of ‘tops’ sitting waiting to be sandwiched.  I needed a change so chose the ‘Starburst’ top to pick up.  You may remember I was waiting for backing before I could move on with this one.  I chose an Aqua cobblestone fabric for it which compliments it nicely.  


Starburst top and backing


This one was always destined for the frame and to be freemotion quilted.  Having browsed through many blogs and watched lots of YouTube videos when I was ill some ideas were stored in my mind.  So the process began,  but not before ordering some nice new bright reels of Glide thread from Quilt Sanctuary.  I chose a Robins Egg blue which is lovely. I’ve had a few oopsies, or should I say design features but this quilt is destined for my car and is a project to push the boundaries a bit so that I can move away from straight line quilting and produce a more flowing design using curves and circles.  




Loaded up and the first pass done
Making progress
Not an overnight success but if at first you don’t succeed try try again!

I hope you have been able to try something new recently and push your boundaries a bit out of your comfort zone.  It is such a sense of achievement when something works the way you want it to.  

1 comment:

Karen said...

I’m thinking there may be a few G&Ts before that ones finished.......just to help you relax those shoulders! Kx