Thursday 15 November 2018

Sewing When I Can

I am happy to say I can post about two of my projects and what has had to be Secret Sewing over the last wee while.  Normally I can post as I go about my current project however not to spoil the surprise element sometimes you just have to keep things under wraps.  

The first is an ongoing project which we have been doing at class since last September.  Members wanted to do a Block of the Month project.  We decided to choose a block each month, go home and stitch it up and return with it the next month for Show and Tell.  Well there were a few surprises over the months, each time the blocks were so different and I don't think there were ever any two the same.  The colours, sizes and indeed the number of blocks was left up to the individual member and as usual at the end of the year I can honestly say there are a lot of talented ladies in our group who should think outside their comfort zone more often.  The blocks chosen were, Dresden plate, Maple leaf, Kite, Star, Square in a Square, A Block with 9 pieces, Triangle, Curve and Mariners Compass.  I of course decided to do something a bit 'off the wall'.  Green, Pink, Grey and Multi combination of fabrics and each block had a 'modern twist'  The binding has a scrappy feel to it and it is certainly different!!  The quilting is not traditional either - I started quilting a spiral  with the intention of covering the whole quilt with the one spiral................but I got bored and had to change thread so ended up doing lots of spirals which is certainly different but I wouldn't say was a great success.




My other secret project I can now fully reveal was a HST triangle quilt you saw me start a few months ago while I was on holiday in Canada.  This was supposed to be finished while I was there and stay in Canada as a wedding gift.  Sadly that didn't happen - I ran out of time again - and I brought it back home here to finish off.  It has now returned to Canada and the recipients I am pleased to say are delighted with their gift.


So in-between finishing these two I am still working on two more 'secrets' which will eventually be posted here.  In the meantime I have been knitting, and tidying my sewing space, tidying up fabrics and hopefully using them up soon for more charity quilts.

So this week I have lots of labels to be sewn on some of the quilts which I have been stockpiling so that all takes up time.  Enjoy your quilting journey.

No comments: