Saturday 26 July 2014

A New Seamstress in the Making

The Commonwealth Games are in full swing, and causing quite a stir in this part of the country.  The opening ceremony was quite spectacular as I sat watching it on television on Wednesday night, although I did wonder to myself if the rest of the world would understand all the nuances of the Scottish dialect in the lyrics sung by Karen Dunbar and John Barrowman as the visited Edinburgh Castle, St Andrews, the Forth Bridge, flanked by dancing Tunnocks Teacakes and Irn Brew. Techie captured the Red Arrows as they flew over our house on the way to the fly past at Parkhead on the east side of Glasgow. All very spectacular.  

As you know I'm not a sports fan but I did watch some of the triathlon and the swimming.  I hope all the foreign visitors realise that they are experiencing something quite unusual while visiting Scotland...... The weather!  This is so unusual for us to have such a long fine spell of warm sunny days with temperatures in the high 20s,  although I do believe there were some sprinkles fell earlier today.

Niece E and I had a lovely day yesterday.  It was the hand over of her Gran's sewing machine.  This young lady is quite and artist and I can see her becoming a seamstress and crafter soon too.  Her request was to make a small bag to carry her sketch book and pencils. After deciding on a pattern earlier in the week she had the pick of my stash for her mini messenger bag.  I found it very interesting watching her choose.  Her first choice was a bright striking white on white fabric, one of my favourites, however pointing out it would become very grubby quite quickly she decided on a retro style print featuring sewing accessories.  The way she chose the contrasting fabric for the lining was interesting she laid out the pieces on the table gradually auditioning and eliminating the unwanted ones till she found the one she liked.  This all without any help from me.

 
oops watch the hair doesn't get in the way

The Sketchbook fits nicely
 
Ta Da!
 
Didn't she do well!  We had a great day and I hope E will continue to experiment with the machine and go on to make bigger and better pieces.  We will arrange another day soon for another sewing session.

I have still not managed any sewing myself this week but I hope to make progress on the class BOM this weekend.  The blocks are all finished, the top pieced and its now ready to be sandwiched together, although I'm struggling to decide on the backing.

I hope you all have a good week and continue to enjoy this lovely weather.

 

No comments: