Monday 23 March 2015

The Things You See on Holiday


Well would you expect to see this .........

 

The drive to a lovely Sunday afternoon tea at Engedine Lodge took us past one of the film sets of Leonardo DiCaprio's new film the Revenant.  This production is being filmed all around Alberta at various locations including Kananaskis and Canmore.  The film is based on a novel by Michael Punke and DiCaprio plays a frontiersman in the 1820s who is out to seek his revenge on fellows who left him to die after he was mauled by a bear!   Exciting stuff Eh!  Unfortunately no filming was being done and no signs of any activity at all by the tepees or the stockade.  I did manage to capture this shot without the snow cannon and the truck just sitting off to the left!  I guess they wouldn't have been around in 1820.

Or this .......

                                  


Technology of a different kind - Aliens landing? - no just another film crew.  As we were minding our own business, having our afternoon tea and marshmallow crispy square by the edge of a frozen Barrier Lake a group of a dozen folks emerged from a camper van and trucks.  Silence shattered but fun to see the antics.  We think this was perhaps footage for an advert or tourist clip.  The drone flew high overhead twisting and turning, soaring and diving at speed while the operator twitched the joystick on his little harness,  watching all the time the recording on his mini iPad monitor.  All good fun for a Saturday afternoon.

Or this.......



Back to nature, a little furry muskrat, who was taking advantage of the open water and the sun at Vermillion Lakes he obligingly swam to the edge where we managed to sneak a photo or two without disturbing him.


Further along the lake road these two geese swam gracefully along honking loudly at times to their fellows on the other side of the icy lake.  They eventually took off and flew into the distance followed by the other members of the flock - such a noisy departure!

As you can see we have been out and about this week so not a lot of sewing going on although I have managed a few stitches in the evenings when all is quiet.

Block 5 - did I tell you I really do not like this block? - I do not like those sleeping children or the flying 'sugar plums' in their dreams.  Ok I know, I know it's essential to the story but I don't have to like it do I? Well it's almost done but for their faces.  I still might make adaptations.

This is what is happening with that bunch of new fabrics from connecting threads - log cabin blocks with a difference.  Whilst browsing around the usual sites I discovered Missouri Star Quilt Co have issued a new magazine called Mod Block.  I liked the sound of it so thought I would take a punt and pay the $5 to download it electronically.  Now I'm not usually one for digital magazines I like to turn the pages and see the instructions in front of me so that I can make notes, however this was a delightful surprise - I would almost go as far as to say I could see myself making all of these beautiful quilts.............if only I had the time.  Well my first project from this magazine is River Log Cabin by Amy Ellis, using my connecting threads fabrics and more.


Sadly we are coming to the end of our break here, again the time has flown but we have enjoyed the peace and relaxation that holidays usually bring.  So we will soon be packing the bags once again for our return home.

The next time you hear from me I will be back in Scotland once again, until then enjoy your stitching.


1 comment:

Karen said...

That was an eventful trip. I thought you'd run into a real native settlement there! As for block five.......mmmmm! I need an easy one to ease me back into things. See you soon. Kx