Saturday 25 April 2015

A Quilt For My Nephew


My 11 year old nephew was due to get a new quilt.  I have made a couple for him in the past, both of which he still has and are still used.  They were both made as  playmats for his cars and construction vehicles when he was much younger.  One stayed at home and the other was left at Gran and Papa's.




I thought it was time he had a change.  He is a big fan of Transformers and has a few of the characters which 'transform' into cars.  Although I am not an expert I believe there are films, games and all sorts of toys.  I was lucky enough to purchase some fabric recently.  When the lady from Linus visited our group to collect some quilts we had made for the charity, she brought along some fabrics and quilts which had been made especially for boys.  Transformers was one of the prints and as soon as I saw it I knew I just had to make a quilt using thus fabric for R.

I am really pleased with the outcome, I fussy cut Optimus Prime and Bumblebee I used bright solids sandwiched between black and grey to break things up.  R was delighted with the cosy quilt which has a nice red fleece on the back.  He immediately wanted to take it to show all his friends.  The only disappointment was I hadn't included 'Ratchet' who apparently is the mechanic who fixes the others when they are broken.  Oops!  I'll need to see if I can find a picture of him to print on the backing of the cushion cover I am in the midst of making with the leftovers. I even managed a photo outside this week.



The Zandra Rhodes Midnight Lace fabrics are coming together nicely using the T intersection pattern as shown on the Missouri Star Quilt Co Tutorial.  I added another solid teal fabric from my stash  to break things up - too many patterned fabrics were making me dizzy.  The blocks were put together totally randomly - not an easy thing to do if you are a quilter.  It's a well known fact quilters don't do random, we always try to match things up.



The top is almost complete so I might manage a photo of it for next week.

We have been lucky this week and have been able to enjoy nice bright days and glorious sunshine.  I even managed my morning coffee in the summerhouse, although I was sitting amidst the winter debris and cobwebs.  That is this week's project - to give it a good spring clean, dust down the cobwebs and return it from the winter storage dumping ground to what it should be - a nice place to sit in the garden for morning coffee, afternoon tea, or a quiet half hour stitching or reading.  

Enjoy your week ahead.

No comments: