Sunday 12 April 2015

Sunshine After The Storm

............ is finished.  



Block 5 is finished too (with a little bit of artistic licence) apart from the embroidery so I am pleased with my efforts this week and it's done just in time for the allotted timescale at class.  



I have just realised though I have a reprieve.  Normally we show our Night Before Christmas progress on the second week of the month at class.  This week we are having a visitor though.  A lady has set up an online quilting shop in the next town and she is coming along to class to talk to us and show us some of her stock - how exciting I'm really looking forward to this.  As I have said before we don't have a fabric shop in our local area so this might be a bonus for us.

A couple of weeks ago at class we started chatting about threads.  Which thread do you use?  Have you considered changing?  Why does one manufacturer's thread seem thicker than another?  This got me thinking and I am about to embark on a trial using different threads by different manufacturers.  There are so many out there but which one is best for piecing and is it all that important.  Gutterman, YLI, Robison Anton, Superior, Aurifil and so the list goes on.  This may take me some time but I will give you an update when I have the results of my findings.



I have also managed to sort out the fabrics I brought home from Canada, that was fun!  Nothing here that I could make a complete quilt with but a lot of blenders and binding fabrics to add to my stash.   I also bought some novelty prints to add to the pieces I have been collecting for some time  to make an I spy quilt for my little grandson then I will use up the leftovers for linus quilts.



This week I hope to do a few of the Farmers Wifey Blocks - I think I mentioned before I am getting towards the end of the layer cake and I'm finding it more difficult to find enough for each block.  I might manage another two or maybe even three blocks if I'm lucky.  I am no where near finishing all the blocks in the book but I knew that before I started, I have a good selection to make up a lap quilt which will do me just fine.

Have a good week whatever you are doing.








No comments: