Saturday 22 August 2015

Where Does The Time Go

I feel a little like the hamster on his tread wheel at the moment and I think I am in need of a break.  I have also been considering for a while whether or not to continue with this blog.  Many I read in the blogging world take little breaks now and again, (some have even gone over to Instagram - too technical for me) in the hope of finding more inspiration, bigger challenges and some time to breathe.  I am not sure just how many follow this page - but I do know there are a few.  I don't get a lot of feedback and that's just fine because I am not even sure if this page is set up properly to get comments and feedback and I'm afraid I don't want to upset any of the settings by messing them around.  Sometimes I think I'm talking to myself but then again that's no bad thing as long as I don't get an answer back.  It does help though to write thoughts down.

It's been a challenging summer for me (if we can call it a summer) not a lot of sunshine or blue skies, everything seems damp and dismal and already the nights are closing in and the darkness is falling much earlier.  Can you tell I'm feeling a bit low?  Well I will give myself a wee shake and give myself a talking to and hopefully I will feel a bit more up beat soon.

Last week I started on the Oakshott bundle, I'm not convinced that I like this fabric.  It is a woven fabric, with different coloured threads it has a very definite sheen and the colour changes in the light, it also tends to fray quite a bit so it's been a bit of a challenge.  The pattern I have chosen is not ideal either and no matter how I place said blocks they change their light and shade, this might become a design feature or it might be a disaster but as they say I've started so I'll finish.  

The single block from last week now looks like this


Well it doesn't really - because they are not joined together in a four block but in rows and if you come back next week you will see that the placement gives a whole new dimension to the pattern.

I should really be doing some quilting not piecing!  I have three, eh no five, oh maybe it's six tops waiting to be sandwiched and quilted, oh well tomorrow is the start of another week and I know for a fact I won't get much sewing done.  Hope you do!



1 comment:

margaret said...

I do hope you keep on with your blog as I follow and yes it is easy to comment. I had a break of 3 months due to family troubles at the beginning of the year so much I missed as impossible to catch up from where I left off!!
Have not worked with Oakshot fabrics but there is a quilter Louise Mabbs who does wonderful geometric quilts with them certainly a wow factor she creates. Flimsies waitng to be completed yes I am there too, finding backings is a problem for the bigger ones as there seem little fabric available over 54" wide and by the time I have pieced a quilt I want an easy backing! Have been searching for sheeting preferably patterned as my quilting skills are poor. Even flat sheets seem few and far they are all fittes now. Have looked at duvets but the oens with a good quality fabric are usually very pricy and the cheap ones are so thin never mind will keep looking