Saturday 10 October 2015

Scrap Busting Again


I was determined to get some sewing done this week as well as getting to know my new computer.  so I have spent a bit of time doing both.  As well as the usual visits to Dad for our regular lunch and shopping trips I had a really lovely day with our little grandson.  His Mummy will be returning to work soon and she had to go to a meeting so Grannie was in charge.  What a great time we had.  I was a bit concerned that the old tricks wouldn't work after 30 years but I needn't have worried.  Yes it was a bit like riding a bike - once you've mastered it, it all comes back in a rush.  We played, we read stories, 

Lift the flap to see the cows - Moo!

We even managed lunch without too much of a mess, he even settled for me quite quickly at nap time - but and there is always a but isn't there …….I had forgotten how much an almost 10 month old can wriggle and squirm when it comes to changing a nappy!!!  

I suppose sewing and knitting are very similar in some respects, what we learn from our mothers, teachers and mentors in our younger years sticks with us - once shown never forgotten.  I remember being taught sewing at school.  Starting off with the binca and the thick wool doing cross stitches, then moving on to our lapbags  [mine was yellow with blue and green embroidery]  This was my first real sewing project and was used throughout primary school to keep sewing and knitting projects in for our weekly lesson.  The lasting memory I have is Miss Smith standing over me as I struggled to thread my needle.  Wet soggy thread all frayed at the end just wouldn't go through that tiny eye .......and woe betide anyone who lost that precious needle.  Ahh memories.

I finished an I spy charity quilt this week, scraps and leftovers, the top is one of a few that's been lying waiting to be quilted.  This one is all done just a label to go on.......but I'm still trying to fathom out the label printing process on my new Photoshop - for some reason it is insisting on printing in the middle of the page which I don't want!  Techie needed again to sort it out I think.


I bought a charm pack called Reel Time a few months ago which I have lifted and moved quite few times not quite knowing what to do with it.  It has now been transformed - a very quick and easy project combined with just under a metre of the new Lewis and Irene Bumbleberries in cream as a background.



And on the wall 


We are going to make one like this at class on Tuesday, using our scraps and stash, no new purchases allowed, so a good stashbuster.  We are having a 'sew in' I'll let you know how many blocks we manage to complete in the evening.  They will eventually be made into children's quilts for charity, a win win situation for everybody. 

So until next week enjoy your stitching.

1 comment:

Karen said...

My mum, who was a teacher at our primary school, taught me to sew and knit. Mum taught lower down the school and would relieve the teachers at the higher end a couple of times a week and taught my class how to knit and sew so I always had a bit of an advantage over the rest of the class.