Saturday 27 February 2016

It's a Bind


But I so enjoy it.  This week I have been sewing down the bindings on three, yes three, different quilts.  

There is something quite satisfying sitting hand stitching in a comfy chair in peace and quiet of an evening. It also means of course I have almost finished three quilts, which I am delighted about.  

Spools as you saw in the last post is now sandwiched, quilted and bound, so that's a finish!

Toes in the Sand is almost there I hope to get it finished this weekend but it's huge so will take a bit longer than normal to get around all four sides.  



On its completion I am going to change its name - the original pattern was called toes in the sand but this quilt does not suit the name.  The fabrics do not lend themselves to a beach scene in any way shape or form.  Yes they are all blues but feature whales, snowmen, knots, alphabet, liberty, Japanese designs and many more.  They were not my choices and I have vowed never to do a block of the month this way again - A very expensive mistake on my part.  I am keeping this quilt to remind me of all my mistakes and errors of judgement made along this quilting experience.

I have just finished machine quilting Hardware and have started on the binding ........ I think this quilt has taken me the longest time ever in the making but as you know I haven't been working on it full time and it started as a Connecting Threads kit bought in Canada.   It's now in the final stages and I may even do a wee bit hand quilting with perle cotton on the centre piece of the spanner blocks.



I spent one night this week working on my Circle Quilt so I've got another wedge completed. 
Mountain Majesties  now has a border - but was quite difficult to choose.  The scrappy nature of this one made it hard to find a suitable border fabric from my stash.  I'm not 100% happy about this one but I'm not changing it.  Sometimes you just have to accept your choices are not just right but the best on offer at the time. 

So although I said in the title "it's a bind", I've had another enjoyable week sewing.  Next week's tasks have not been written down yet so I am still undecided.  Labels need to be made for my finishes and hopefully I might manage to get outdoor photographs of them too if the weather stays dry and bright.  The scrappy string blocks are still to be sewn together so that may be on the to do list, apart from that I think I will just wait and see how the mood takes me.

A quilt show is being advertised and taking place in the SSEC in Glasgow next weekend so I am going to try and find time to get along there for a look.  I may find some inspiration and pick up some of the items I didn't manage to get last week at Ingliston.  

Have a good week everyone.

No comments: