Saturday 6 February 2016

Trying Something Different


I am continuing with my plan of every time I sit down to sew I work on something different.  I have a few projects on the go as always.  I find I get bogged down doing one thing until it's finished so for this last month I've been working on at least four.  I am now pleased to say I have completed two of them, the little baby quilt is finished and posted off to Jessica.

Butterflies and Buds for Jessica 48 x 48"

The Autumn Improv Pods quilt is also finished and I am pleased how it has turned out with its pieced back.


Front of Autumn Improv Pods 48 x 60"


.......and the pieced back

The first two blocks of Amy Gibson's Sugar Block Club are keeping the Disappearing Pinwheels quilt company on the design wall.  This now has sashing and borders and the batting has been cut in preparation for sandwiching.  My dilemma at the moment? I'm not sure what that backing is going to be, nor do I know how it will be quilted.  Maybe a fleece or maybe pieced........I'll leave it up there a little longer and see if inspiration strikes.


Progress being made

Toes in the Sand has a few more triangles quilted in the spiral design and a few more marked out ready for its next outing to the sewing machine.  

For the last hour I have been trying out something new, a new block for me.  I still continue to use up my scraps (Well what is a scrap anyway? That's a story for another day I think.  Is it a tiny snippet or crumb, is it a 2.5in square or a strip, is it less than a fat quarter, or is it just a piece of fabric you no longer like or need). Well today mine are smallish pieces in my scrap box which are less than a fat quarter but much bigger than 2.5ins. In actual fact they are squares which have been cut to 8.5 inches, trimmed, sewn, trimmed, sewn again and slashed and flipped and sewn again and have turned out like this.  Hopefully you will follow the progress of this block and see how it ends up.


Still to be trimmed up

Q.  What do you do when you've lost a quilting book you know you should have?  It's not where it should be beside all the others, it's not by your bedside, it's not down beside your favourite chair?
  
A.  Pull out all the books in the bookcase, make up a spreadsheet, put the said books in alphabetical order by author, place them all on the one shelf and low and behold there it is hiding.  However I've now forgotten why I wanted it in the first place but I do have a tidier stack of books!!

Much tidier and in order

Until next time have a great week ........... be brave and try something new and different using up your scraps.




No comments: