Sunday 21 February 2016

Scraps Scraps and Even More Scraps!

As promised I will show you how I used up a good amount of my scraps last week.  The ladies at the class I think enjoyed my wee presentation on how they could use up all these leftover pieces from their completed projects.  I have three in progress at the moment.  

Number one:  Spools, a free pattern from the Connecting Threads website, uses up 2.5 inch squares and 2.5x6.5 inch strips.  I kept the background consistent with a grey moda marble and I am pleased with how it has turned out.  The borders are now on and looking good.



Number two:  Mountain Majesties, another freebie pattern, this time from Bonnie Hunter's website.  She makes lots and lots of scrappy quilts and her website is a great resource full of interesting tips and ideas.  This one uses 8.5 in squares, although you could use other sizes too with a little bit of maths, one light one dark.  This was a real fun project and kept me focussed and entertained as I love the cutting and piecing process, I now just have to decide on the borders.



Number three:  Strippy strings, this appears on many websites.  I have done this one before using another method but this time I used Bonnie Hunters foundation method using paper.  It's amazing how quickly all the strips in your scrap bucket disappear.  Again it's good to keep a consistent colour way going throughout the quilt and as I had a lot of dark strips I chose a bright yellow/gold Kona from my stash.  This is it on the 'wall' it has still to be sewn together so may not be the final version.  This is another one where you can alter the design depending on the orientation of the blocks.  I may have difficulty in choosing a border for this one!




Number four:  this was just a flash of inspiration and my own idea although it may have been done before.  We have all tried out Jenny's Exploding Block from Missouri Star.  How about putting a pieced block in the middle - looks good with the nine patch, or the rail fence. I am sure we all have orphan blocks lying around, or.............. just use up those scraps!  These may not become a quilt just yet.



When these quilts are eventually finished I will not be returning to my scrap bin for some time.  I may even be tempted to give my scraps away in the future rather than let them accumulate.  Well that's last week's round up.  Plans for this week.........

Start something new perhaps?  Hmm still too many WIP's maybe.  I certainly have my quilting mojo back and have lots I could do.  I may be working on this one though for some of the time.



I did manage a visit to the Quilt Show in Ingliston yesterday.  Good to meet up with some of our ladies and see the Exhibition Quilts, it wasn't terribly busy but that may have been because of the horrible wet day. I thought there were fewer exhibitors and not so many quilts on show.  I think we better watch out though. If we don't support these events we might just lose them and here in Scotland we don't have that many.

Have an enjoyable week everyone.

1 comment:

Karen said...

Scrappy quilts all looking good. I have an idea now for all my strips so might make a start on that tomorrow........