Sunday 27 October 2013

Almost But Not Quite

I  thought I might have another finish for you today however I am not quite there yet.  You have seen this one before if you have been following along, this is one of the tops I finished while I was on holiday.  I had a couple of hours quilting the sandwich last night.  This one is more densely stitched than my normal, and I am using the honeycomb stitch on my machine. I'm not too sure about it, but as they say I've started so I'll have to finish.  It's now all quilted just need to trim it up and put on the binding!


I have had a very productive week this week doing all things house related.  Getting some things done which have been put on hold for a while.  The main thing was a huge clearance of all the cardboard boxes which were cluttering up our loft space.  Techie and I spent two days moving things around and clearing out.  Why do we keep boxes for computers, printers, sewing machines, old wallpaper, pieces of carpets etc etc?  Most of the original contents have long gone or been changed.  We did have fun and we did find some treasures we knew we're there but had forgotten about, like the Lego bricks and instructions, old skis and ski boots now too small for any of us.  We also realised there were boxes of school, university and professional course notes - and because I am not an academic I cannot understand why they need to be kept, especially as no one has looked at them in years.  Boxes of household items from student flats were and are still up there - they need to be sorted and removed.  They are not mine so the challenge is out - if they are not removed by the end of the year they will all be removed and recycled!  I mean it this time.

My reward for a busy week was coffee with my quilty friend, we meet each week at class but never really have time to have a chat about all the things we would love to make. We have been talking for ages about modern quilting and the pros and cons.  Do we like the concept of negative space, improv blocks and straight line quilting.  We would love to give it a try but cannot quite make the transition.  Do we need to give up the traditional, would we need to buy yet more fabrics or could we use what we have in our stash, can we do a class for modern quilters, do we have the time!  No real decisions were made other than we might give it a try.  We will need to meet for coffee and cake again soon to discuss the matter further.  Meantime we will continue to browse through blogs and books for ideas.  Maybe we will make a few enquiries.  Perhaps we should 'just do it' if we stopped procrastinating and browsing the internet we might just be a bit more productive.

Have a good stitching week 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm liking the honeycomb quilting! Kx

margaret said...

quilt looking good and no doubt will be finished very soon,.
Sounds like you Uncovered some treasures in the loft along with rubbish! Fortunately or maybe unfortunately I have a very low roof, cannot even stand in my loft so do not use it al all, still manage to collect junk though!