Sunday 12 January 2014

Improv Pods


During the latter part of November and early December three of us from the quilting class decided to embark on some Modern Piecing and Quilting.  We met on a Saturday morning, chatted drank coffee and discussed, cut and pieced Improv Pods a project inspired by Elizabeth Hartman.  Oh what fun we had!  A new project, a new technique, a new idea. Modern quilts in general have a neutral background and in the main use solid fabrics, with lots of negative space.  No suitable fabrics in the stash so a trip to the quilt shop  was needed.  In for a penny in for a pound, if I have to buy fabric why do I not use something outside my comfort zone.  Some of you will know I do not have a great affinity for pink.  I have very few pieces of pink fabric in my stash and normally do not like working with it.  You know how it is - if you don't love it, it is so hard to enjoy or build up any enthusiasm to work with it. 

My quilt was going to be made using some pink fabrics.  Five fat quarters were required  one of which had to be a modern focal fabric plus the background.  We don't have many quilt shops in our area and sometimes we don't have just the right choices and have to supplement from online shops.  Here are my fabrics.  Ok so I've got two patterned pieces and they are not quite as bold as I would have liked.  Ah well - you know me rules are made to be bent are they not?


The focal fabric is not as bold as I would have liked


The first week was spent discussing our colour schemes and fabrics, drinking coffee, chatting and making plans.  The second Saturday was  busy cutting and sewing, strip piecing and slashing, turning and stitching again until the first of our Pods came to life.  We were breaking all the traditional rules, and it was fun.  Gradually the quilt tops came together and we were really quite pleased with the results.  Neutral fabric did not work for my background so I chose Kona Regal a rich dark navy blue. This is so different from any other project I have ever done and I love it!  I enjoyed working with others as a team, I enjoyed buying new fabrics I enjoyed the concept, I enjoyed the measuring and even the quilting of the negative space.   I enjoyed thinking outside my little box.  Sometimes we need to stretch ourselves and go that extra yard, give ourselves a push to do something different.  This was not a difficult project but a challenge just the same.  Would I do it again?  Yes I probably would.


The Front - showing quilted negative space


The Pods are quilted in the ditch around the edge but not inside
 
The quilt is complete and it is very definitely pink!  Unfortunately taking photos in winter has it's issues. Hopefully I will have more daylight shots next time.  I am not sure if they are showing true colours here, but you get the idea.  We are going to have a workshop at class during February using this technique so I am looking forward to seeing the results and all the different colour palettes.  
 
Catch up in the middle of the week for more photos.

No comments: