Wednesday 15 January 2014

It's Pink..........

I promised you more photos of the Improv Pods quilt and I did warn you that it was pink!
 

The back with the label on the bottom 




















And a close up of the negative space quilting.
 
Perhaps a mistake using the navy thread for the quilting but having read lots of articles I decided to go with the same thread on the top and in the bobbin.  I think the navy is just too much of a contrast here, but you live and learn.  I did try using different threads top and bottom on a practice piece but no matter how hard I tried I was still getting the opposite colours showing though on either side which I really didn't like.  It's done now and I am really quite chuffed with it.  It's just so different for me and it made me think!  Plans are progressing for the Saturday morning workshops for the ladies of the class to try out this technique. I hope they are looking forward to a whole lot of fun and enjoy it as much as I did.

I dipped into my lucky dip boxes (the ones with all the pieces bigger than scraps and smaller than half a metre) at the weekend too and came out with lots of blue bits left over from this quilt.  More on that one next time.


Blue Spangles














Have a good week.

3 comments:

knottygnome said...

what a gorgeous improv quilt. i don't use colored solids for backgrounds enough. the hot pink is amazing.

Linda from Talkinglunchboxquilts.com said...

Love both your quilts! The pink one is super fun! From the picture, it looks like your blue thread choice was perfect. The quilting is really neat and I like being able to see it :) Well done!!

Jasmine said...

I really like the navy on the pink. I frequently tell myself, "If I was quilting this by hand I would see the same color on both sides." I usually choose my backing based on what color my quilting thread is. The blue quilt looks great, too.