Sunday 23 November 2014

Project Linus ......

.........Providing security and comfort to sick and traumatised children and young adults through quilts.

I am delighted to report that 11 little quilts were handed over to E,  the Regional Co-ordinator of Project Linus for Lanarkshire and Glasgow East, this week. As you will remember our Exploding Block tutorial produced quite a few blocks which we then pieced together and produced four quilts.  A few of our ladies made their own contributions too.  I was so pleased with the results and am sure these will provide a hug and some comfort to a few more children coming up to Christmas.   E gave a very interesting talk on her work with Project Linus and would be delighted to receive any donations if there are more quilters out there wanting to help this very worthwhile cause and can be contacted via the Project Linus website.  She even brought along some lovely pieces of fabrics and fleece - these were given out to some of our ladies who have kindly agreed to make them into quilts for PL.  There are so many youngsters out in the community needing a little extra comfort.  We often think of little quilts being needed for babies but in actual fact PL help all ages, tots to teens.  She demonstrated an easy and quick way of how her group make 'whole cloth' quilts using novelty fabrics and fleece from fat quarters, a quick and easy way to produce a warm and cosy neonatal blanket.  However, I am a quilter first and foremost and I just love cutting and piecing, so I won't be using her 'quick fix' method.   I will continue to cut and piece and layer and quilt as that's how I get my buzz and it will be a pleasure to hand them over to her to distribute.  I am also continuing to support Marie Curie and have a few more ready to deliver next month for their fundraising.  

This week there is a display of our quilting projects in the local library.  We have been asked again by the staff to set up a Christmas display.  Although a little early it was felt we all needed our projects returned by the beginning of December as some will be gifted and used to brighten up our own homes during the festive period.


Those Carol Singers are so Cute



Such a variety of techniques

Once again thank you to all our ladies who have contributed and help set up the display.

The sun is shining this morning and I seem to have lots to get done.  Housework seems to have been ignored this week, so I will try and rush through the chores so that I can get some sewing time later.  I have a number of little projects which need some finishing stitches - these are all destined for Christmas gifts and shouldn't take too long to complete.  I also need to get a baby quilt started, I've found a pattern and some fabric arrived in the post yesterday which I didn't expect to receive until next week.  Plush Addict is a good online site I use, they have always had a quick, efficient and well packaged system which works for me.

Have a good and productive week.






No comments: