Sunday 17 July 2016

Have You Ever..........

Let your mind run away with you to such an extent you almost missed a stage in the process?  Well I have been bashing away merrily enjoying the process of this little quilt.  



Made with a charm pack, no thought needed, top finished, sandwiched up, ready to quilt and bind.  Last night I got ready to quilt it lifted it and started to square it up and cut the sandwich to size.......... Hold on wait a minute, are you not supposed to quilt it first?  Duh!  Ok back to the drawing board or should I say sewing machine.  Quilted it lightly with the serpent stitch which is becoming a bit of a favourite, then went back to trimming it up.  Great!  

Pulled out the fabric I wanted to use for the binding, yep enough there then the clanger!  It wasn't full width of fabric.  


I had obviously used it in another project and low and behold there's not enough for this binding.  These little hiccups always happen when you are working to a deadline which just happens to be Wednesday coming.  Where can you find what you need on a Saturday night when the local quilt shop is closed until Tuesday and may not actually have what you are looking for?  No chance of ordering on line to be delivered next day.  Sleep on it!

This morning I woke up and remembered the new shop which has opened only half an hour or so away.  It is only open at weekends and by appointment.  A quick look on their website confirmed they were open 10am - 2pm today.  A little jaunt this morning took me to Hazel's Fabric Craft, a small bright compact shop, filled with lots of lovely fabrics, bright and cheery and a lovely welcome from the owner.  Hazel has a good selection of different ranges of fabric from Makower, Riley Blake, Michael Miller, Art Gallery to name a few, but don't go there looking for Moda she doesn't stock it.  She has a good selection of blenders and notions too and stocks Guterman threads and John James needles.  

Was I successful in finding the binding fabric for my current project - yes I was!  Of course I got a couple of other metre lengths just for my stash, I do like to support a new venture.  I don't think there is any doubt I will be returning for more fabric in the future..........not that I really need it.

So after I have my coffee I will be returning to the cutting table to cut my binding and all being well this deadline might just be met after all.  Before it is delivered to baby Oliver's big sister I'll take a photo and post the finished result on my gallery page and the binding fabric bought just in time! Here's the progress as I put it away for tonight. Two sides of the binding sewn down.


Moral of this story is always check your fabrics at the start for your project don't just assume it's all there, because yes your mind, and your fabric stash can play tricks. 

No comments: