Sunday 10 July 2016

Hexagons Anyone.

I told you a few posts ago that I was making up a 'go to' box of tricks for our quilting group.  To allow anyone who was struggling over the summer months with their own projects to do a little simple stitching at class.  This little box holds everything necessary to make blocks from the New Hexagon Book.  This was a book we bought for the class last time we visited Kaleidoscope almost a year ago.  It has some lovely patterns and templates for paper piecing hexagons with a difference.

  


I think we have all tried making the usual hexis, cutting out the paper templates, covering them with fabric, tacking through the papers and stitching them together.  This book details a different method, for me anyway,  the templates are glued to the fabric and the fabric edges turned over and glued to the paper with fabric glue stick.........  Well it's worth a try is it not?  Much quicker at any rate!

In the true children's television programme fashion - here's one I made earlier


Papers glued in place and firmly pressed down...........and the right side 


This one has now been completed although I don't have a photo.  I will take a photo on Tuesday to let you see our progress. Some of the ladies thought it might be fun to try it too so a few more are in the making.  The plan is to make the large hexagons, (which measure about 5 ins). We are using scrap fabric of course, from our stash and trying to use the same colour family for each one.  Each hexi will be monochromatic, patterned fabrics are allowed but no mixed colours within a fabric or any one hexi.  Hopefully we will manage to make a couple of dozen or so and then buy fabric to join them all together with setting templates in a neutral solid.  

I have finished the other baby quilts and they await the new arrival.  I have also finished another 'musical' quilt for PHEW this week photo will follow.  I really need to start my 'challenge quilt'. It's all in my head at the moment but time marches on and I need to make a start, if only to see if my 'vision' or should I say 'illusion' really works.  

Hope you all have a good week.

No comments: