Saturday 15 March 2014

Liquorice Allsorts Anyone?

......and a long awaited picture of a quilt in the snow.

I thought I had better get a photo of one of my quilts in the snow before it all disappears,  it is melting very quickly now.  This last week there has been a huge upturn in the temperatures here.  We have had a lovely week of sunny days, blue skies and temperatures of +9 and 10c quite tropical compared to the previous week.

Yesterday while out on our drive I took my Allsorts quilt to sew down the binding.  While sitting by Middle Lake and completing the last stitch I realised I had a photo opportunity.


Allsorts in the Snow


......and the back


......and a close up of the quilting


As always seems to be the case when I try and take a photo, the sun just disappeared behind a large cloud as I got it all set up.  
 
Here is Allsorts, completed all except for the label.  I am so grateful to BA an excellent teacher, who allowed me to use her Millie longarm machine to quilt this quilt using the pantograph method.  We had lots of laughs and I had great fun.   BA arranges lessons and hires out her machine on an hourly basis, which I think is a great idea, allowing people like me to try out longarming.  I don't really like freemotion but I really enjoyed this method of quilting.  Maybe I will be persuaded to do freemotion next time.
 
I didn't think for a minute when I arrived here that within 4 weeks I would have a quilt top completed, taken lessons on longarm quilting and actually have the confidence to produce an intricate stitch pattern on a proper quilt - never mind a practice piece.  I used most of my scraps to produce this easy top which can be found in Modern One Block Quilts by Natalie Bonner and Kathleen Whiting they called it Squared Scraps but in my colourway I think it looks just like Liquorice Allsorts. 

Now I need to get my labels done today.  Have a great weekend everyone.

1 comment:

margaret said...

this is very sweet!! sorry could not resist that as it is allsorts. Good job with the long arm quilting