Saturday 8 March 2014

Twisted Twister

On one of my visits to the quilt shop I think I told you I had seen a sample of the Twister quilt.  This was one of the many samples hanging on the wall in Addies and was made in primary colours with a black border.  It caught my eye and as usual a spur of the moment decision was made.  I bought the large template as well as an accompanying book showing lots of different layouts for table runners, cushions, quilts and more.

The Twister Template - note the thickness and little feet

When I brought it home and and read through the book my immediate thought was that it was going to use quite a lot of fabric and create lots of waste.  Undeterred I laid out my fabrics.  The coral, peach, teal, aqua, grey and big bold print called Flirt by Sandy Gervaise for Moda.  Hmmm it should work. 


Some of the fabrics I used
 
Although the pattern suggested a layer cake I cut out my 10ins squares and started laying them out on the floor - no design wall here, so I was crawling around on my hands and knees - not a pretty sight.  As usual the plan in my head was not the one I used.  The method for this quilt was to sew the 36 squares together 6 x 6,  add a 6 ins border then use the template to recut new blocks.  




The layout

I pieced them altogether and stepped back.  Hmm!  The dark border I had chosen was not going to work, it flattened all the colourful pieces.  Change of plan - substitute the light fabric.  This however meant a couple of the blocks at the edge would disappear - ho hum!   Now for the recutting.  

Here are some of my observations and a word of warning about the template.  This template is thicker than a normal ruler and has little non slip feet on the back, thus raising it from the fabric.  This means if you are using a normal 45mm rotary cutter like me, it catches.  Not good.  If you have one use a 60mm cutter or if you don't, consider paring down the feet with a sharp knife (as I eventually did). I would also suggest a new blade in your cutter so you don't create any drag.  Be very careful at the corners do not run past the edge or you will slash into the next block you only have a little leeway.  If you do go too far wondaweb is good for a repair!!  The good thing is there's not a lot of waste.


All the requirements - note the little slivers this is all you have between blocks 
 
These new blocks are then joined together and a brand new pattern appears.  Watch out when sewing them though because each one now has bias edges.  (I now have a new best friend and I'll tell you about it next time.) 

The first two rows of blocks

The pieces between the blocks leave a little 4.75in square. These can be recut with the lil' twister to make minis for the border or like me you could make HST.  The next decision - will it be this ......




Using the leftovers

........or this

I've used this layout before

.............or something completely different.  That's for next time too.

I hope I haven't put anyone off using this template because this was a fun top to make - I did enjoy it.  Maybe the instructions on the sheet should have come with some of these warnings.  It was challenging to deal with all the slight issues I had but I would not recommend it for a beginner though. 

That's what quilting is all about is it not - push the boundaries and try something new.   Would I use this pattern again? - Yes definitely.  I enjoyed seeing the new pattern develop in each row although I do have 2 disappearing pieces.   Guess what I'm going to name this one?

1 comment:

margaret said...

the twisted pin wheel gives a wonderful effect. I have the sew easy 4.5" pinwheel magic template, this creates 3 different variations of twisted wheels, unlike you I have not maea a quilt just played with making one full block of each.