Sunday 13 April 2014

Preparation for Tuesday's Class

I spent some time yesterday afternoon sewing up some samples for our Scrappy Tutorial at class on Tuesday.  We always have lots of spare pieces of fabric left over from our projects and it's good to find and share new ideas of how we can use them up.  I am a fan of The Quilt Show with Alex Anderson and Ricky Tims.  This show features a different quilt artist each month and I watch the episodes in the hope that I pick up new ideas.  

This idea was on a recent programme with Victoria Finlay Wolfe.  Her book is described as 
 '15 Minutes of Play -- Improvisational Quilts: Made-Fabric Piecing Traditional Blocks and Scrap Challenges'. She is an artist turned quilter and she calls her method of quilting '15 minutes of play'.  This lady is a busy homemaker and mum and this method allows her to be creative in short bursts.  I could not really believe this could be done it 15 minutes, but yes it can!  

The Scrap Baskets

My Toes in the Sand quilt blocks are coming along too.  I think I now have nine completed blocks.  I am enjoying this one, using the Hex n' go ruler.  The triangular blocks are made up with hexis, half hexis, triangles and jewels.  These shapes are all very interesting to cut out, which is a favourite part of the process for me.  I may try some of these blocks using a different colour combination sometime in the future, as I think I said before I am not really liking these fabrics.  Sadly a downside of doing a Block of the Month - they are not what I would have chosen. 

Two More 'Toes in the Sand' Triangular Blocks

I hope this week is as good as it can be for you all.

1 comment:

margaret said...

I love Victoria` book and have since bought create your own free form quilts by Rayna Gillman which is also excellent. Like the quilt, not come across a hexngo ruler before, this needs investigating.