Sunday 10 August 2014

Rainy Day And Plenty To Do .......but

As the rain is falling here once again you would think I would have more time to sit and sew. Even the garden looks a bit bedraggled and the birds have deserted the feeders it's so wet. At least we haven't seen much of the predicted storm here.


My problem seems to be sitting thinking and not doing and a lack of decision making on what exactly I should be doing.  Too many things going around in my head related to household, family, holiday and quilting.  I need to start making lists again!  

I have a few WIP as I said last time.  My BOM quilt is almost done, just a few stray threads to hide and the label to be put on.  (Just Do It!!!).  I've had a lot going on this week at home and there are only 24 hours in a day and like everyone else I need to sleep.




I finalised the class syllabus just in time, gathered up my sewing bag and checked everything was in place for the first class of the new session last Tuesday.  I even managed to bake a lemon sponge cake for our cup of tea.  This was to be the grand reveal of our BOM project we have been working on since this time last year.  What I surprise, what a wonderful array of quilts, very talented ladies who don't seem to know their own strengths and abilities. Colours were rich and varied, Christmassy, fresh and zingy, cool and warm, modern and traditional, muted and striking, pastels and brights, each one well stitched and set in a variety of ways.  Each of us could find fault with our own work and that's ok, hopefully we will have learned a lot on our journey working through the blocks on this quilt.  It's not the making the mistakes it's how we fix the problem or know how to change things for the next time. I know we all agreed that cutting accurately, and having an exact 1/4inch seam was essential.

Next week we start planning our next big project, we will all be working on our own again but will spend one class night each month working on an appliqué project by Bunny Hill. Watch this space to see how I get on.  This is a new challenge for me. I've never attempted anything quite like this before, read small and fiddley, handwork and time consuming.  I understand from the ladies though that it is very therapeutic and relaxing - just what I need. There are so many methods of appliqué, choosing the right one may be my first challenge.


No comments: