Thursday 21 August 2014

The Exploding Block

I think the tutorial the other night at class was quite successful.  I am looking forward to seeing some of the ladies try this out for themselves.  This is a good beginners block but can also challenge the more experienced amongst us.  Armed with my pre cut squares from my lucky dip boxes (remember the boxes which hold my less than a metre cuts of fabrics) I set out to demonstrate to the ladies a technique I found courtesy of Jenny Doan of the Missouri Star Quilt Co.  The video can be found here.  This simple method produces a quick and easy block similar to a square in a square block, and the good thing is you can start with a square any size you like and build it up as you go.  The only step I would add to the process is to trim each step and square the block as you go for a neater sharper finish.  The class will work on this mini project for the Linus project.

I mentioned last time I was trying this out before the class using leftovers of pastel blues and pinks and I can now reveal part of my quilt top.




1 comment:

margaret said...

sounds like an interesting block but there does not apperar to be a link to click on to see the video, please can you give me the name to put into u tube or the link so i can have a go, have also the disappearing pin wheel and disappearing hour glass block to try from the Missouri quilt co