Sunday 14 September 2014

The Sunshine Returns

Some of the ladies in our quilting class are embarking on a huge appliqué project.  I for one have not made great advances in appliqué over the years I have been quilting - in fact I think I have made one little table runner way back when using the fusible method.  Our project is a Christmas  block of the month and we plan to have it finished by December 2015.  The ladies made a start last week back home and to show willing I had a little practice and was reasonably pleased with the results.





This week has not been what we were hoping for during our holiday break.  I understand it is often the case around this time of year a few flakes fall,  but this year seems to have been the heaviest snowfall for some time.  I believe the snow in Alberta even made the news back home.  However we are fortunate that we had winter clothes to keep us cosy.  





Yesterday morning was very misty and the mountains were just shadows lurking behind the mist first thing.  As the morning progressed the mist burned off and we had a beautiful blue sky day.  I am sure I have shown you this view before but I never tire of it. A day for a drive!





We had a stunning afternoon travelling down the Kananaskis Highway.  Crisp clear sunlight catching the snow topped mountains, clear blue green lakes and very few cars on the road.  I have taken so many photos over the years in different seasons I'm afraid the camera stayed in it's case and I just soaked up the photo stream in my head - memories of a wonderful afternoon.  The trees and undergrowth colours are just beginning to change towards Highwood Pass the highest part of highway 40.  Our favourite spot at Mist Creek is no longer.





The floods of last year have washed away the banks of the creek where the little picnic tables stood, the once idyllic spot is strewn with trees and boulders where the creek has changed it's path - that's nature for you.  I think in time the area will be renewed and the banks will once again play host to the picnic tables and families enjoying an afternoon picnic.  Lots of work has already been done and continues, along the highway to replace the road which was washed away in a number of places during the floods of 2013. 


I have managed a bit of sewing in the evenings and I am really pleased to report I have only one more 'hardware' block to piece, thank goodness!   Then I can sew all the blocks together to make a reasonable sized quilt, it will not be the size stated in the pattern which asks for 30 blocks. I'm stopping at 16!  I am so fed up with this project, I seem to have been doing it for years.  Of course I'm going to have to look at these fabrics again as I've lots left over haven't I.  





Have a wonderful week whatever you are doing.

1 comment:

margaret said...

like you I have not done much applique in fact had my first go at a MQG last week. Certainly lots of snow you have had, how I hate the cold and think we will be punished this winter as we had such a mild one last year. Your hardware blocks look rather complicated but interesting