Monday 19 August 2013

and Finally .......

......... the wind dropped and in between the showers the sun came out.
 
Squaring the Circle in the Garden
 
Squaring the Circle,  has a piece of fabric from my very first table runner included in the BLACK block as well as a piece from last years Christmas quilt.
There is a piece in the BROWN block which featured in my daughter-in-law's trip around the world quilt.
In the PURPLE block there are pieces from one of my favourite quilts made with fabrics bought while on holiday in Kalispell, Montana.
PINK is not a colour I use very often but I did have some left over from my niece E's churn dash quilt, a wedding quilt and a baby quilt.
The middle square in the GREEN quilt was from my Mum's quilt which kept her cosy when she felt poorly, stitched together with bits from son no 1's outdoor pursuits quilt.
The RED square reminds me of a quilt still to be completed - a real challenge early on in my quilting.  The top is long completed but lies yet to be sandwiched and quilted. Must get it done soon!
The 'Flames' quilt fabric for my son no 2 is in the ORANGE square
BLUE - ahh!  A few baby quilts in this one and pieces from mother-in-law's.
And the YELLOW square has two fabrics from the kit given to me as a thank you gift for doing wedding flowers for niece F.

A quilt is as you can see is not just a piece of fabric or a sewing project, it has love and care stitched into each stage and like this one can have many lasting happy memories attached to it.  Now you may understand a little more about why I can't part with this one.  I am not usually sentimental about anything and probably that is why my husband has just said "It's only a quilt!"  Yes it is only a quilt, it took me on a journey with lots of thought processes which I had to work through and deal with, but this one is mine and enjoyed piecing it all together, in more ways than one!  

Here are some of the quilting statistics

Scraps sewn together randomly within their colour palette 
Sewn together with Connecting Threads Egyptian Cotton Thread
Trimmed block size 12.5 inches square
Grey sashing, borders and binding Spraytime by Makower
Warm and Natural cotton batting
Ikea fleece for backing
Finished size 49 x 49 inches
Started 16th July, finished 18th August 2013

2 comments:

Ian said...

Looks fantastic mum, lovely to see it finished and hear the stories of some of the pieces of material.

Fee said...

Looking good! Your free motion quilting is a lot better than mine!