Friday 30 August 2013

Farmer's Wife Squares

Last November, way before I started following blogs and just as I was discovering a whole new universe of quilting out there on the web I received the Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt book as a birthday gift from a my son and his wife.  I read it from cover to cover and the wifey's letters were interesting and inspiring.  My immediate reaction was that it would be an interesting project to embark upon over the winter.

Foolishly I imagined it would be a straightforward project - until I realised they were 6 inch blocks and all that that entails.  Precision cutting, accurate seams and firm pressing.  As some of you will of course know, the smaller the block, less room for mistakes and adjustments.  Then I realised when I popped the CD into my computer that each piece of each block was given as a template to be printed on a single sheet of paper.  Hmmm!  thinking cap on again.  Fortunately I have EQ7  the computer software programme for designing your own quilts. (not that I use it for that very often - note to self to try more of their tutorials soon)

My next task was now to redraw each block and that would in turn give me accurate rotary cutting measurements for each block. Sorted.  (At this point I should have had the foresight to enlarge the blocks too on EQ7 but I didn't)  Then the next decision which fabrics to use.  All I knew at this point was that I didn't want to do this with traditional fabrics or colours.  I have since realised that everyone else in the blogging universe seemed to have the same idea as quite a few have appeared since starting out on my project.  Many being produced in modern bright colours and fabrics.  

When I was given the book I did mention it would be a long term project.  Well I have started now so I will finish. I may not do all 111 blocks as detailed in the book but I will keep going until the layer cake I have decided to use is finished.  Here is how it is progressing so far.  11 blocks down, only 100 to go!



The first few blocks



The birthday gift which started it all

Have a good weekend everyone, happy stitching.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Lovely way to use your Moda "Reunion" by Sweetwater layer cake! Kx

Audrey Mackie said...

Thank you Karen, I just knew that you would know what the fabric line was called! A.

margaret said...

you certainly have a major project here, I so agree easier to do bigger blocks, I am doing the Tula Pink ones and they are 6"