Saturday 7 September 2013

Another Delivery of Quilts

I am so pleased to tell you today that a few more of my quilts have gone off to help keep someone cosy throughout the winter months ahead.  Those of you who have been following since the outset will remember I said that I give most of my quilts to those who need them and for charity fundraising.  Just around that time there was severe flooding in southern Alberta, Canada.  In particular a place very close to my heart.   Canmore is a beautiful town in the Rockies with stunning scenery and more importantly a warm, friendly community.   The mountains and friends draw us back year after year.  We have just returned for a visit to total devastation in the valley.  Although we have been following the events with great interest from afar no picture can truly portray the severity of the destruction.  A storm which passed so quickly leaves in its wake long months of recovery, uncertainty and waiting, for decisions to allow rebuilding work to be started.  Our dear friends have lost their home and are waiting patiently for the powers that be to agree to the rebuilding of their beautiful home.  Many families have had to find alternative homes some having to stay in temporary accommodation in motor homes and trailers.  Possessions and valuables have been swept away with a lifetime of treasures lost. Many are beginning to feel the chill as the colder weather approaches.  

What good are my quilts doing stacked in a cupboard? They are needed for folks less fortunate than me.  I am delighted to be able to help - it may not be much but I hope these quilts will keep a few families a bit cosier this winter. Of course a quilt is a hug, and everyone in this community needs a very, very big hug, if only to say we are thinking of you all at this very difficult time.    

Here are some of the quilts which I have passed on and I hope will help towards piecing someone's life and home back together.





1 comment:

margaret said...

what a wonderful way to share your quilts, storm damage leaves such destruction as you say, losing a home that has had so much love poured into it and what is the worst is all the personal things like photos and sentimental things that can never be replaced. So worthwhile donating the quilts to charity, I am new to quilting and have not made a quilt yet but yesterday started a cot quilt for an old flour mill that is being renovated, a group of us are making things that can be sold to help raise funds.