Thursday 26 September 2013

My Unwanted Scraps - Gone to a better place

You will all be pleased to know my scraps here in Canada have gone to a good cause. Unfortunately I did say I was binning some fabrics in one of my previous posts, fabrics that I was really fed up looking at and had used so many times. I got so many comments about me binning fabric. As some of you will know I, like many quilters, am a very thrifty quilter I waste nothing!! That throw away line got me into so much trouble. I really need to be more careful how I say things, I have a reputation for saying things and regretting them later. So after making a few enquiries this is what happened to them.

The local hospital here had put out a request for craft supplies for their extended care facility. This would allow residents to be able to take part in and enjoy crafting to make new soft furnishings for their facility. Yesterday we took along a big bag of batting scraps which I hope will be ideal for table runners, cushions and stuffing for soft toys, together with a bag of the scraps which have overstayed their welcome in my box and have become a source of angst. I hope you will all feel better now you know they are being up cycled.

My sewing has been progressing now that the weather is a bit cooler here and the new bundles of fabrics are beginning to turn into tops. I have been strip piecing and have made some half square triangles, two very easy and quick methods of piecing. I will leave the more complicated patterns till I get back home.









I will not be revealing these just yet, I am taking them home to Scotland to sandwich up and quilt. Please keep following along and you will soon see the finished quilts which will eventually be put up for sale to raise funds for Marie Curie Cancer Care.

I hope you are all planning your projects for the coming months, it is so nice to close the curtains on the darker nights and sit in front of the sewing machine or the fire with a new project. Being still in summer holiday mode I have not yet thought about the next holiday season - I am not mentioning that word just yet although there are lots of seasonal fabrics appearing in the shops.

Have a good day folks, I hope you find time for a stitch or two today.


1 comment:

margaret said...

good to read you found a home for your extra bits and pieces no longer needed.
Sounds a good idea to make strips and half square triangles, always looking for tips as a new quilter as still finding the challenge of completing things hard, have a wallhanging nearly finished and 100 tula blocks to join up but finding it easy to leave them on on side! Shame I am not a bit nearer as you might motivate me.