Wednesday 18 September 2013

It's Dreich Today!


For those of you who don't know the word, dreich is an old scots word for dull, cold, overcast and wet weather.  It certainly is that here today, even the mountains are hiding, wrapped up in clouds, I do believe I can see a sprinkling of snow covering the tops.

We even had to put the heating on for a while just to heat the house.  I have been doing what I do best on cold days, apart from quilting I do enjoy baking.  Usually at home the oven goes on and the aroma of freshly baked scones wafts from the kitchen, the family favourites. However when in Canada do as the Canadians do, make marshmallow crispie squares.  I have just been told off though for cutting the squares too small!!  I think I should really be making some soup. As I look out the window today it appears summer has gone and autumn has arrived.  We do have a couple of blue jays visiting the seed feeder, and our resident squirrel is running back and forth along the top of the fence, carrying goodies in his mouth obviously stocking his larder for the winter.  The trees are turning and the aspen and the larches are stunning.  

I am off to do some more sewing this afternoon, using up pieces of fabrics as usual, trying to empty my boxes so I can go off and search for more fabrics, perhaps to try out a modern quilt.  I have a finish too - thankfully!  These fabrics seem to have grown legs as they say. They were bought as a kit and I have now produced I think 5 quilts from it (you will see them all in the gallery).  This is the end of the line for them now.  Any scrap pieces I have left are going in the bin I am so fed up looking at them.  This quilt is called Sunny Days, it is bright and cheery and hopefully it will go off to some little girl in the community here.

Sunny Days - or perhaps it should have been called Dolly Mixtures

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You would never accuse me of having a sweet tooth (aye right!) but It reminds me of Dolly Mixtures! Cold and miserable here too today so I might manage to take my mind off things and tuck myself into my sewing room tonight. Kx

Audrey Mackie said...

K, that would have been a good name for the quilt. I've already done the label though, and you know me I'm not wasting fabric on another label. Feel bad about binning the remaining fabric but fortunately only wee scraps left.