Wednesday 20 November 2013

A Finish as Promised


Making quilts is a wonderful hobby.  I think I might have told you that before.  Why would I be telling you all about it on this blog if I didn't?  I am a quilter, in fact I have been told that I am a 'topper' as I love the cutting and piecing of the top most of all.  I make quilts - I have tried my hand at other quilted items but they just do not float my boat. Ladies at our class each week produce wonderful items, cushions, bags, wallhangings, pincushions, Christmas trees and decorations and so the list goes on.  Me, what do I do different -  eh! Nothing.  If you have a look on 'my quilts' page above you will find that very rarely do you find two quilts of the same pattern, I like things which are a bit different and unusual. I enjoy trying new techniques, and I need the variety of different colours and patterns to inspire me.  Although when you look at my quilts seemingly most have green in them.  

As I complete a quilt I wonder how many hours have been spent piecing it all together, but I never have the answer.  I start off with good intentions I take a note of the start date and write down how much fabric I have for the project.  How long does it take for each stage though? The planning, the choosing, cutting, stitching, trimming, more stitching, trimming, layering, quilting, trimming, binding, even more stitching, preparing the label, and finally taking the photograph still remains illusive as I usually miss timing a step as I go.  The stitching is the hardest to keep track of as I quite often dip in and out as my mood takes me, sometimes only for 10 minutes and more likely a bit longer.  As long as it all goes smoothly without hiccups it is a calming process and I love it!
 
I have been trying to keep track recently because I have a few quilts for sale. I will soon have another tab at the top of the page which will link to a For Sale page, I hope you will have a look.

Here is one of the finishes I promised you last time - Not Quite Union Jack

 
The Selected Fabrics
 
 
 
Making the Blocks



Sewing the Strips Together
 

 
The Finished Article - Not Quite Union Jack


2 comments:

One Wee Bird said...

I like the phrase "I'm a quilt topper" by the stack of WIP's I have maybe I am too :)
Love the graphic simplicity of your Quilt

Little Island Quilting said...

Fabulous quilt and a great name for it!