Saturday 9 November 2013

Sewing for Myself

Sometimes in life we get all caught up in doing things for other people.  That's ok it's good to share and help out, but sometimes we should just stop and have some 'me time' and be just a little bit selfish.

I have been thinking of trying out some Modern quilting for ages and have browsed many sites and flicked through a few books on the subject.  My findings are that Modern quilting has got many attributes which need not all be used in the making of one particular quilt. Modern quilting usually but not wholly uses solid fabrics, negative space and sometimes uses traditional blocks made with bold patterned fabrics and colours.  These quilts can be freemotion quilted using complex designs and patterns but may also be quilted using straight lines and simple patterns.  Still with me here ....? Yes well as far as I can understand and in my opinion - anything goes, as long as you like it, and enjoy sewing it together.  I suppose I am a little step closer to understanding and making a wholly modern quilt.  I have read books by Angela Walters, Jacquie Gering, Elizabeth Hartman and the Modern Quilts from the Blogging Universe, this particular book of patterns is inspired and created by lots of well known different bloggers all bundled together and shared in one book. There might be a project here just for me!

Pages from Quilting Modern and Modern Quilts from the Blogging Universe


More 'me time'. I have just finished a rather nice quilt which I think I am going to keep for myself for those nights when I have cold feet and I am feeling the need to snuggle up.  This is another top I made when I was on holiday, and I have to admit it was destined for one of the charity fundraising quilts.  However I messed this one up big time!  Yes it looks ok in the photo. The front it's pretty neat and even.  I always have difficulty seeing how a quilt should be quilted but I knew this one had to have motifs in the light squares.  I thought I would try hand quilting for a change.  Oh oh!  I decided to use perle cotton thread so I needed a bigger needle to accommodate the thicker thread.  As usual I sandwiched it with warm and natural with fleece backing - mistake - if you are going to hand quilt. It was much too thick to get the needle through and the quilting stitches did not show fully on the reverse as they disappeared into the fleece  - not a pretty sight!  So this quilt is going nowhere I'm keeping this one, just for me.

Flowers in the Windows


Remember the farmer's wifey quilt blocks I blogged about way back in August? Well I hadn't done a single one since then.  Tut tut.  I decided that since it is almost a year since I was given this lovely book I should perhaps make a few more of the blocks.  This is what I did yesterday afternoon, another four added to the bundle.  I have still got a long way to go and I have told myself I need to do more of these on a regular basis.  This quilt too will be a 'me' quilt as I was given this book as a gift, but I don't have a clue how long it will take to finish with all the other ideas I have on my virtual sewing list.

Country Farm, Bouquet, Birds in the Air and Contrary Wife

I see Jack Frost has been at work overnight here. Everything is covered in white this morning, I guess that's the end of the lovely flowers in the garden for another year.  Keep warm and enjoy your week.

No comments: