Sunday 8 December 2013

An Unexpected Result

I have been a bit under the weather this week, unfortunately a head cold appeared from nowhere and has made me feel miserable most of this week.  However it is only a cold and although my poor family have had to suffer my grumpiness more than usual this week I think I have turned the corner now and I'm feeling a bit better today.  Needless to say my plans for the week were all shot to pieces.  I had to phone Dad to postpone our weekly lunch and shopping expedition.  

I didn't get as much sewing done as I had planned but Tula Pink's blocks were easy they were sewing up quickly and didn't require too much thought or concentration. The smaller pieces of fabrics I was using quickly disappeared.  I managed 20 blocks and pieced together they have given me a fair sized Lap quilt 42x35ins or there abouts.

Tula Pink as some of you may know is a modern quilter, fabric designer and writer.  I decided I would use some of my quite traditional fabrics but make modern blocks and have a layout with a modern twist. This was what I was aiming for with the blocks offset.  Well.........
 
Tula Pink's Sliding Scale from her book 100 Modern Quilt Blocks City Sampler

..............  my mind obviously went down a different track the other night and this is what I ended up with. A very traditional block layout with traditional two inch sashings!!! 

Not quite what it should be

Oh dear I suppose it was meant to be.  The moral of this story has got to be, when you are not feeling 100%, think twice or maybe three times before taking on a project involving thought processes.  My mind was certainly addled or maybe as usual I just didn't think!  This is another charity quilt but I was hoping for something a bit different.   I quite like it now it is almost finished, I have just the binding to sew down, a few threads to darn in and a label to make for the back.  Even although it's not the result I was planning at the outset hopefully someone will love it. 
 
Today has been dull, dark and drizzly.  I will need to make winter arrangements for taking photographs.   I feel a tutorial from Techie coming on - maybe next week.  

No comments: