Wednesday 25 December 2013

Techie Takeover - The Result!!

Morning all, Merry Christmas!!  Techie here.

Look what I finished last night - talk about cutting things close to deadlines!

Finished quilt 36 x 48

Better pictures will follow but I had to put something up to prove I'd finished in time.  Thanks go to Mum for her help but I did most of it myself.  She finished the corners of the binding and did a bit of pressing where I'd made a mess but other wise its all my own work.  The finished size is 36x48 so a good size for throwing over the settee.

It is all machine pieced and most of the quilting was done on the machine too.  For the quilting I decided to quilt stars into the centres of the blocks.

Star quilted into the middle

I decided I wanted to add a bit of myself to the quilt (and I don't mean the blood spilled due to numerous pin and needle pricks!!).  I am a big ice hockey fan and in particular a Calgary Flames fan.  Ever since Mum and Dad took my brother and I to our first NHL game during a skiing holiday about 20 years ago I have followed the Flames passionately.  I even have a wardrobe full of their jerseys.  How does this relate to the quilt?  Well I decided to hand quilt their logo, the flaming C into the top left hand corner.  Here it is

Flaming C

For comparison here is the original 



I've decided to name the quilt 'C'ing Stars at Christmas.  Once Christmas is over Mum or I will add some more photos but for now I am away to play with my Lego.  Yep a 27 year old playing with Lego.


Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!!


3 comments:

Audrey Mackie said...

Proud of my boy!! I did not think he would stick at it never mind finish it in time for this Christmas. Yes it was all his own work except the corners which he found a bit tricky the way I do my bindings. He even managed to handquilt the 'flaming C' with perle cotton all by himself.Merry Christmas everyone.

margaret said...

well done Techie, your first quilt is a masterpiece

Unknown said...

Wow! Most impressed. And for your next trick......... Kx