Sunday 1 December 2013

A Quick Sunday

Wow where has today gone!  I was intending doing a bit of sewing today however only managed about half an hour, but that's life isn't it.  This was birthday week in our house so instead of birthday cake I promised I would make a cloottie dumpling for hubby who had a milestone birthday on Wednesday.  So the task this morning was to make dumpling.  This is a Scottish tradition, a rich fruity, treacley, spicy steamed pudding like cake, the mixture is tied in a muslin cloth and is steamed for hours and tastes quite delicious served with whipped double cream or icecream. While this was cooking I also made some pancakes which have disappeared quite quickly today even before they had cooled.

My half an hour of sewing was spent making a couple of Tula Pink blocks.  Yes I am a glutton for punishment as these are once again 6 inch squares.  You may remember I bought the book recently.  The fabrics I am using are pinks and purple tones with a green thrown in for good measure.  These fabrics are from my stash and smaller pieces they are all less than half a metre, which is ideal for this project.  The blocks I have made so far have been really quick and easy and would be ideal for a beginner.  I won't be making all the 100 blocks for this project but I will just keep going until I use up all the fabric.

Hmm - the colours are not quite right in this photo - left hand side royal blue is in fact purple



The First Block
 
Almost dinner time now so I am off to enjoy some of the dumpling for dessert.

P.S.  The dumpling was yummy, I had it with a dollop of cream.

Have a good week.


2 comments:

margaret said...

the dumpling sounds delicious. Happy Tula stitching, I have completed all 100 blocks and on saturday made 24 into a small quilt with black sashing, now need to buy some wadding, this is the first quilt I have made and quite pleased with it, will p a photo on my blog later today. Have discovered small blocks are much harder to do, have the Dear Jane book too and they are only 4.5" so when I start on those will do them bigger.

Unknown said...

Jings Margaret you're as big a glutton for punishment as Audrey. What no nice creamy custard with the dumpling! Kx