Friday 14 February 2014

Hardware


I have almost finished Fall in the City, the quilt featured in the last post.  It's sandwiched and quilted and I am two thirds done sewing down the binding.  I love hand stitching down a binding and haven't yet succumbed to the machine stitched versions I have seen so much of recently.  I might do a little hand quilting around some of the blocks.  It's quite therapeutic and comforting to sit in the evenings huddled under a cosy quilt, hand stitching.  I had no idea the name of this quilt until I found the shipping note with this next little bundle of fabrics.  This is also a kit from Connecting Threads bought back in 2012 I think I had intended taking it home but I guess it had to be left behind as the suitcases were reaching their maximum weight that year.


This kit is called Hardware and each 12 inch block is made up of almost 36 pieces!  Lots of half square triangles - I can see this is going to be a project which requires extra care with the quarter inch seam!  As I look through the fabrics again I can't say I am in love with them.  I must have liked them back then or maybe I had a plan for this quilt which I have now forgotten all about and has long gone passed it's expiry date.  I think my style is changing as I feel this is all too busy - however I will start cutting enough for a couple of blocks to see how they look.  If I'm not sure I may change the pattern or only use some of the fabrics and put in plain or solid substitutes.  The joy of quilting - being able to change and swap things around as the notion takes you.  We will see what tomorrow's efforts at the quilting table brings.

Temperatures outside are rising a little, hubby's cough is still lingering but at least he is feeling a little better, and the jet lag is almost gone.  

No comments: